Ingredients of the Kentucky Fried Chicken Secret Recipe
- 1 Fresh Free Range Chicken cut into 8 Pieces
- Soybean Oil or Vegetable oil for frying
- 9 ounces or roughly 2 cups Plain White Flour
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Sea Salt (use 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground tellicherry pepper or Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground savory (you could substitute with Thyme; marjoram; or sage or Italian mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground majoram
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garclic powder
Egg & Milk Mix Ingredients
- 4 free range eggs
- 2 cups skim milk (or Fresh Milk for healthy)
- 6 - 8 cups water (enough to cover chicken)
- 2 tablespoon sea salt ( I reduced the salt considerably from 1/3 cup but added more Fish Sauce)
- 3 tablespoon (MSG Free) Premium Fish Sauce
Directions to Cook Kentucky Fried Chicken Secret Recipe
Dissolve 1/3 cup salt in 8 cups of water with the fish sauce. Add chicken and marinate for 2 hours. Remove chicken from brine, rinse with water and dab it dry.
Place flour in large bowl add all the other coating ingredients and combine.
Place Fresh Milk and egg into another bowl and whisk together.
Place piece of chicken into the egg and milk while covering all the chicken thoroughly. Take out of mix, let the surplus drain off. Place into the flour, cover well, shake off excess flour then back into the egg and milk mix another time and then one more time into the flour. Let the chicken sit and soak up the coating for 2 minutes before frying.
Repeat process for all the chicken.
Heat oil in a deep fryer or pan to about 300° F. Test to make sure its at the right heat. Place chicken into oil and cook for 13 to 16 minutes or until cooked. The cooking time will depend on the temperature of the oil and the size and amount of chicken cooking. Look for a golden deep and slightly dark color to get the best crunch.
Let the chicken drain and rest in a warm oven on a rack for at 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with French fries and a fresh garden salad like the one in the photos.
Reviewed (update):I cooked this recipe this evening for the first time. The chicken I used was quite small so I had to cut down the ingredients a bit. I found that you don't need too much water for the brine and just enough to cover the chicken. I would also reduce the salt a lot as I found my chicken a little salty even after I reduced it considerably from the original recipe. I also found I had put too much herbs and be very careful as you can over do it. GO EASY if you use Thyme as it has a very powerful flavor with chicken.
Otherwise it was pretty good for my first attempt and I will be looking forward to giving it another go in the future and let my own recipe evolve as you should also try to do.